Primarily a headache disorder, migraine is usually characterized by recurrent headaches and can be diagnosed on the basis of medical history, symptoms, and physical & neurological examination. Migraine is a common problem in the country and is accompanied by physical warning signs like blind spots, nausea, flashes of light, tingling sensation in arms and legs, vomiting, etc. The excruciating pain during migraine last for several hours or even days. To combat this pain, there are several treatments for migraine that help in easing severe pain.
Treatments for Migraine
There are different treatments for migraine that are known to stop symptoms and avoid future attacks. There are different medications that are designed specifically to treat migraines. Medications used to combat migraines can be classified into the following two categories:
- Pain-relieving medications – abortive or acute treatment, these medications are usually taken at the time of migraine attack and are specifically designed to stop or avert the symptoms.
- Preventive medications – These medications are often taken regularly to reduce the frequency and severity of migraine attacks.
There are some medicines that are not recommended or advised if the patient is pregnant or breastfeeding. Also, there are some medicines that are not suitable for children. It is best to consult a doctor before starting any medicine.
Pain-relieving medication should be taken as soon as symptoms of migraine are experienced. The medication works when taking at an initial stage and helps in easing the pain. Also, during migraine attack, it is advised to sleep in a dark room with no light.
Migraine treatment medications include:
- Pain relievers for mild migraines belong to classes and OTC drugs
- For moderate migraine pain medications belong to Acetaminophen, Aspirin and Caffeine,
- Triptans are classes of medications that are used for treating moderate to severe types of migraine.
- Even certain anti nausea medications prove to be effective treatments for migraine
Treatment Migraine – Preventive Medications
Preventive medication is best suited for someone who experiences the following conditions:
- Four or more unbearable attacks a month
- Attack lasting for more than12 hours
- Pain-relieving medications are ineffective
- Signs and symptoms include prolonged feeling of numbness and weakness
Preventive medications are helpful in reducing severity, frequency and the length of migraine attacks. Also, preventive medications increase the efficacy of symptom-relieving medicines prescribed for migraine attacks.
some of the common medications that are used extensively to treat migraine are:
- Cardiovascular drugs – Beta blockers, these not only reduve severity and frequency of migraine attacks but also treat high blood pressure and coronary artery disease.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor
- Antidepressants – Tricyclic antidepressants effective in preventing migraines
In case of chronic migraine pain, nontraditional therapies are quite helpful. These include:
- Acupuncture –Acupuncture, according to clinical trials, is found to be helpful in treating headache pain. In this treatment, a practitioner puts in numerous thin, disposable needles into different parts of the body at defined points.
- Biofeedback –Quite effective in relieving migraine pain, biofeedback appears is a relaxation technique that uses special equipment used to regulate and control certain physical outcomes associatedwith tress.
- Massage therapy – Massage therapy has a positive effect on the body and is known to reduce the frequency of migraines.
- Herbs, vitamins and minerals – Feverfew and Butterbur are some known herbs that are used to prevent migraines and reduce its severity.
A high dosage of vitamin B-2 is also given to patients as it helps in preventing migraines and reducing the frequency of headaches.
Coenzyme Q10 supplements are prescribed by some doctors as these help in decreasing the severity of migraines attacks.
Magnesium supplements – people with low magnesium levels often experience migraine-related symptoms. Magnesium supplements are given to treat migraine and its severity.
Remember, do not use medications if you are suffering from symptoms or side effects of or are suffering from other serious illnesses.
Lifestyle and Home Treatments Migraine
Self-care is critical during migraine and can help in easing migraine pain. These include:
- Muscle relaxation exercises – There are different relaxation techniques including progressive muscle relaxation, meditation or yoga that helps in treating migraine pain.
- Sleep, but don’t oversleep – It is best to get right amount of sleep every night in order to treat migraine. Also, make a habit of getting up at consistent times.
- Rest and relax – It is always better, during migraine, to rest in a quiet, dark room. Also, when the headache starts, place an ice pack, wrapped in a cotton cloth, at the back of the neck. With the ice pack, apply gentle pressure to the painful areas on the scalp.
- Maintain a headache diary – Doctors recommend to record headache frequency in a diary. Also note what things that trigger migraines are and the treatment that is most effective.