An important hormone that is essential for male growth and development of masculine characteristics, testosterone affects male reproductive and sexual functions, hair growth, muscle mass, as well as maintaining red blood cells levels, energy levels, mood, and density of bones. In men, testosterone is produced in the testicles, while in women, this hormone is produced in the ovaries. However, women have a minuscule proportion of testosterone as compared to men.
Levels of testosterone are at the peak during late adolescence and early adulthood for men. After the age of 30, testosterone levels drop by about one percent each year. This is quite a natural phenomenon. However, sometimes testosterone levels decline drastically. The causes for this may include the following:
- Too much iron in the body, also known as hemochromatosis.
- Hypothalamus or a dysfunction of the pituitary gland.
- Diseases caused due to inflammation.
- Liver cirrhosis.
- Radiation treatment for any kind of cancer.
- Loss of testicles due to injury or infection.
- Lifestyle problems such as alcoholism, stress, obesity, and so on.
A few effects of low testosterone levels
Although lowering of testosterone levels is natural among men above the age of 30 years, there are certain factors such as chemical exposures and use of certain prescribed medications that can lower testosterone levels. This can lead to a lot of negative effects that can bring in a lot of physical changes.
- There might be an increase in the levels of body fat and a decrease in muscle mass.
- Cholesterol and lipid levels can be affected.
- There can be mild anemia due to a decrease in hemoglobin levels.
- There might be osteoporosis of bones.
- The growth of body hair might also go on a decline.
What are testosterone boosters?
Low testosterone levels can be treated with testosterone replacement therapy by taking testosterone boosters and also by following a healthy lifestyle. Testosterone boosters can be herbal-based or legally available supplements that increase testosterone levels in the body. There are innumerable brands that produce testosterone boosters targeted towards men suffering from low testosterone levels or for those who want to enhance their virility.
Although many popular and best testosterone boosters are available over the counter, it is necessary to consult a doctor before taking any testosterone booster. This is especially important if a person suffers from other health ailments such as heart problems, diabetes, high cholesterol problems, and so on. In such cases, intake of testosterone boosters may lead to other health complications.
6 popular and best testosterone boosters
Testosterone boosters are marketed as dietary supplements that aid in boosting the natural production of testosterone in the body. They are effective when accompanied by a dedicated exercise schedule. Many of the popular and best testosterone boosters that you will find are often tested and verified in human studies and research. However, it is always in the person’s best interest to consult a medical practitioner before taking any testosterone boosters. Among the many that are available in the market right now, the following are some of the popular and best testosterone boosters:
- Nugenix: Containing testosterone boosting ingredients such as testofen, fenugreek extract, and tribulus terrestris, this well-known and one of the best testosterone boosters has been known to give above-average performance results. With an overall potency of approximately 2,100 milligrams per serving, this testosterone booster is supposed to high nutritional value as well.
- Testosterone Max: This popular and one of the best testosterone boosters combines ten testosterone-boosting elements such as D aspartic acid, tribulus terrestris, fenugreek, zinc, and so on. It has an overall potency of around 2300 milligrams per serving. Along with natural ingredients, this testosterone booster contains panax ginseng and selenium that boosts immunity and body strength.
- Anabolic Matrix: This is a tribulus terrestris-based testosterone booster. This testosterone booster has been known to boost natural testosterone levels and increase body strength. It helps lower estrogen levels and improves stamina levels. This supplement is not suitable for those with heart problems, thyroid ailments, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, or any psychiatric disorders, bladder incontinence, glaucoma, prostate enlargement, or seizures.
- TestoTEK: With high levels of D aspartic acid, vitamin D3, and zinc, this testosterone booster also contains mucuna pruriens, oyster extract, ginseng, stinging nettle, and fenugreek. All these natural ingredients have been known to increase natural production of testosterone. One of the less expensive and best testosterone boosters, TestoTEK has high potency levels.
- DAA Max: This popular and best testosterone booster has been known to elevate testosterone production in the body quite quickly. It also increases virility along with giving a boost to muscle mass. This one is one of the least expensive testosterone supplements.
- Testogen: This testosterone booster has one of the highest above average overall potency levels at 3000 miligrams per serving. It contains D aspartic acid, panax ginseng, fenugreek extract, tribulus terrestris, and zinc. A safe alternative to testosterone injections, this supplement boosts stamina and body strength.