Diarrhea is a type of infection that leads to irregular bowel passing, accompanied by abdominal pain, liquid stools, bloating and weakness.
Diarrhea is related to the issues in the gastro-intestinal system that may occur due to a viral infection, unhealthy food consumption, consuming certain antibiotics, food allergies, or due to the intake of contaminated water.
Diarrhea can be acute diarrhea, which usually lasts for 2-3 days, or it can be chronic diarrhea which usually lasts longer than normal diarrhea symptoms. If you are suffering from chronic diarrhea which may be related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), or any other diarrhea-related diseases, it is advisable for you to consult a doctor.
There are a number of medications available for treating diarrhea, but most of them are accompanied by side effects that you may want to avoid. Natural home remedy for diarrhea proves to be a boon, when you do not feel the need to see a doctor.
Best And Proven Home Remedies For Diarrhea
Stay Hydrated: This is the best and the most effective home remedy for diarrhea. Drinking sufficient liquids is the best way to get rid of diarrhea. Some of the recommended liquids include:
- Water: Drink at least 2-3 glasses of water every hour, to avoid dehydration.
- Bone Broth: This is a healthy soup made with bones of animals and added herbs or vegetables. Drinking bone broth will help you get your needed dose of amino acids and electrolytes.
- Herbal Teas: Drink more of herbal teas like ginger tea, chamomile tea, orange peel tea, caraway tea, pomegranate tea, fennel tea, or even peppermint tea.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water does not suit everyone, but is found to be a good source of electrolytes.
- Fresh Vegetable Juice: Drink more of fresh vegetable juices, like carrot juice, as it will provide you with the required nutrients and energy and will also keep you hydrated.
Yogurt: Yogurt is another good home remedy for diarrhea, which helps restore the good or healthy bacteria in our guts and even helps us fight the bad bacteria. Yogurt contains millions of live bacterial cultures such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium, which helps in improving the count of good bacteria in the gut. Fresh and unflavored yogurt is recommended for better and effective results.
BRAT Diet: BRAT stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. BRAT forms an essential diet for treating diarrhea, as it provides the abdomen with the much required time to rest and resume its normal functionality. The basic benefits of BRAT include:
- Banana: Contains pectin, a water-soluble fiber, helpful in ending diarrhea and potassium, a form of electrolyte, which in turn substitutes for loss of nutrients due to diarrhea.
- White Rice: White rice makes the liquid stools become hard and thus has a binding effect on the bowel motions. Eat plain rice without any added lentils or spices for more effective results.
- Applesauce: It contains pectin, which helps in firming bowel movements due to the soluble fiber content in it. Applesauce can be easily digested and our upset stomach can tolerate it well.
- Toast: Eat dry toast which is a good source of carbohydrates and an easily digestible food option. White bread is best for patients suffering from diarrhea as it contains less fiber, making it an affordable home remedy for diarrhea.
It is not recommended that one follows this staple diet for very long, as it fails to provide the basic nutrients our body needs, otherwise.
Ginger: Ginger is the most readily available ingredient at home and a good home remedy for diarrhea. It is also helpful in calming down other symptoms of diarrhea including cramps and abdominal pain.
There are two ways you can eat ginger for treating diarrhea:
- Ginger and Honey: Mix the grated ginger with a tablespoon of honey. Have the mixture for getting rid of diarrhea and to soothe the discomfort caused by it. It is recommended that one does not drink water after consuming this mixture.
- Ginger and Cinnamon: Mix a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with finely-grated ginger and add the mixture to boiling water. Let the water absorb the herbs before you drink it.
Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek seeds contain high quantities of mucilage which has a capability to hinder the negative effects one faces due to diarrhea, making it an excellent home remedy for diarrhea. Fenugreek seeds are effective in providing relief from the severity and uneasiness caused due to diarrhea. You can consume fenugreek in a number of ways, which include:
- Chew fenugreek seeds, if no other mixing ingredient is available
- Mix fenugreek seeds with a tablespoon of yogurt and a pinch of cumin seeds and eat the mixture
- You could also mix ground fenugreek seeds with water and gulp it down
These are some simple ways to fight with diarrhea at home.