Are you experiencing pain in your big toe? The pain is accompanied by burning or swelling! Well, this can be a symptom of gout. An arthritis pain caused due to faulty metabolism process, gout mostly affects the big toe of patients. Apart from causing pain and stiffness, it may also lead to swelling of the affected area. People affected with gout problems not just have to experience difficulty during movement, pain, and stiffness often awaken them in the middle of the night. If you are experiencing symptoms of gout or have been diagnosed with the condition, you need to act intelligently. Once diagnosed gout becomes a chronic condition, yet there is no need to get disheartened. With a little care, you can certainly control the pain and live comfortably. Here are some of the popular and best gout treatments you can do at home:
- Take adequate rest: As your toes and feet are worst affected by gout pain, it will be better for you to reduce further stress in these parts. Take bed rest as much as possible to heal the swelling and get back to normal life. Also avoid covering the affected areas with clothes, as this increases the discomfort. Footwear is also not recommended for this condition.
- Applying cold compress: This is one of the best gout treatments that is a simple yet effective way to deal with the pain and discomfort related to gout. Take some ice in an ice-pack or get a dry ice-pack from a medicine store and apply in the affected area to ease the pain. However, do not apply ice directly on your skin.
- Keep your body hydrated: Drinking sufficient water is important for everyone, yet it is more important for people with gout problems and is perhaps one of the most effective and best gout treatments. You need to drink at least four to five liters of water every day to keep a check on the increase of uric acid. This, in turn, will reduce gout pain and you will be able to live a hassle-free life.
- Ginger roots: Rich in anti-inflammatory properties, ginger roots can help in relieving pain as well as inflammation related to gout. Consuming ginger roots is also quite simple. You can add it to different dishes or eat it raw. Apart from this, you can also mix one teaspoon ginger roots in boiling water and drink it once every day. If you do not prefer the taste of ginger roots, you can add fenugreek or turmeric to it and make a mixture. Add the mixture to lukewarm water and drink. While consuming ginger root is another of the best gout treatments, you can also make a paste with ginger root and water for applying it on the affected area.
- Apple cider vinegar: Blessed you are if you have apple cider vinegar in your kitchen. This white liquid can help you with the treatment of multiple diseases including gout. To relief yourself from gout problems, you just need to take a glass of water and mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in it. Stir and drink every day.
- Lemon juice: Almost everyone knows that alkalis can be helpful in acid reduction. The same is applicable for gout pain also and hence, this one is one of the best gout treatments you can follow at home. That is why it is recommended to consume lemon juice daily and control gout symptoms. You can drink lemon juice with water for three times a day to keep a check on gout pain. Apart from that, you can also make a mixture using half teaspoon baking soda in the juice obtained from one lemon and allow it to settle for a few seconds. Once done, mix it in a glass of water and drink. Apart from lemon juice, you can also increase the intake of different fruits containing vitamin C and keep your bones as well as joints healthy.
- Make a healthy eating habit: While remedies are important for the treatment of gout, just relying on the medicines is not enough. You also need to bring some modifications in your diet and eat healthily. Foods, which contain a high amount of purine-like seafood, fatty food or red meat, should be avoided. Alcohol is also a strict no for people suffering from gout-related issues as this can affect the uric acid level of your body adversely.
- Epsom salt: Known to be a good source of magnesium, Epsom salt can help in treating gout pain successfully and be a really good and one of the best gout treatments. All you need is to mix half a cup of Epsom salt in a bowl of water and soak your toe or leg in it. The water should be warm enough to offer the desired comfort.
- Over-the-counter pills: In case of unbearable pain, you can take an over-the-counter pill and soothe the condition. However, make sure to know the side effects of the pills you take and also avoid daily intake of such medications.
Though home remedies can help in relieving gout pain to some significant extent, just relying on them is not enough. It is advisable to consult a doctor and get the condition properly diagnosed to avoid any complications in future.